WHAT KILLS A BEAUTIFUL HOMES’ SALES
It’s the 21st Century, people are sensitive and particular about anything and everything, so no matter how drop dead gorgeous that property you’re showing is, if you don’t get this one thing right, buyers won’t be buying.
So what is IT?
SMELL! The sense that too many home sellers neglect to pay attention to but should.
One of the easiest ways to evoke pleasant feelings about a space is to enhance the way it smells. Think of it this way, when you go to a bakery not knowing what to buy but as you enter the smell chocolate chip cookies baking in the oven hits you immediately, thus its likely to affect what you’ll be ordering. Likewise, with a home, you want your buyers to feel good about that property the first moment they enter.
To freshen up the smell, scrub all surfaces, wash all rugs, and have the carpets cleaned, suggests real estate professionals. Because until this is done, you’ll only be masking smells and we don’t want that at all!
So here are some of the following tips to keep all of your properties smelling its best when showing clients around:
- CLEAN THE FRIDGE: Clean out the refrigerator, which could be a culprit of any bad scents. How? A simple home hack is to simply leave a fresh box of baking soda on a shelf to help remove any lingering odors and viola!
- CARPET CLEANING: Carpets and rugs can be a culprit of smells. Get carpets and rugs shampooed or steam-cleaned regularly, and particularly prior to an open house.
- BAKE FOR A SMELL: As we mentioned earlier you want them to feel pleasant about the space, paint them a picture of them living in that space and what better way to do it than with food! This provides a great smell and treats seem to stick in the buyers’ mind after they leave.
- USE SOAP: Gather up all those unused bars of fancy soap over the years and place them in a pretty bowl on a bathroom counter, it can fill a room with a remarkably clean, fresh scent for weeks. You can even hide a bar or two in a walk-in closet to freshen the space.
- FRESHEN UP CONFINED SPACES: Use laundry dryer sheets. Tuck a dryer sheet in closets or other confined spaces to help make them smell like fresh laundry. Just another way of you painting them a picture that the house can be a home for them using the power of smell.
In every sale, its not always only what people see and hear, it also has to be whether or not they feel good about the sale. So, yes, smell plays a big role in upping up your game to making sure you’re giving your all in every sale and to every client.
About the writer: Shaura Cuyan writes about all the hottest Real Estate trends and predictions for Summit VA Solutions! She has previously written for a number of freelancing gigs and writes her own blog on lifestyle and current issues. She is a Graduate of Bachelor of Arts in Communication, taking up her Masters in Development Communication.